So my last strawberry inspired recipe, I promise! These are gorgeously moist, perfect to take as part of your picnic or as thank you for a favour. Food makes a great present, as people appreciate the time and effort you have put in to say thanks, or get well or well done.
These are great with blueberries too or raspberries.
100g Butter (soft at room temp)
3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
11/4 Cups Plain Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 Cup strawberries chopped and tossed in a little sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 c. Beat the butter and sugar until light and pale. Add the eggs on at a time beating well between each.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the mixture along with the butter milk and lemon zest ( I ran out of lemons so put a few drops of lemon juice -from Lemon Fresh NZ made in a handy pkt I store in the fridge)
3. Beat slowly until just combined, don't over beat the mixture or you will have heavy cakes.
4. Fold in the strawberries and divide the mixture between your bundt tins, I used 6 , 1 cup capacity tins, you only fill 3/4 of the way. If you are using smaller tins you will get 8 cakes.
5. place on a baking tray and bake for 18-20 min turning the tray half way though for even cooking.
6. Leave in the tins for 5 min before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Lemon Drizzle
1 Cup Icing sugar
2-3 Tsp Lemon Juice
Strawberries for garnish if desired.
Stir through enough lemon juice into icing sugar to make a thick smooth icing. Place a sheet of baking paper under the wire rack (to avoid a sticky mess) Spoon the icing onto the centre and let it drizzle down the sides. The sweetness of the strawberries and the tang of the lemon is a perfect combination. Yum!
Till next time.