This is my mum's recipe and one that always reminds me of home. It's a savoury treat, perfect as an appetiser or finger food at a dinner party. Full of great nutrients so a healthy savoury dish that you don't feel guilty eating. This recipe requires Gram Flour, which you can get from any Indian supermarket. It's made from lentils, its got a distinctive taste and great for people with a gluten intolerance. My dad and hubby both love this, and dad has been bugging me for days to put it on my blog! LOL!! So here it is dad, this one is for you!
300-400g Bag of fresh Spinach Leaves
3/4 Cup Gram Flour
1 tsp Baking powder
2 Tbl Plain Yogurt
3 Tbl Chopped tinned tomatoes
3 Tbl Vegetable oil
1 Tsp Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1/2 Tsp Tumeric
1-2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
1. Pre heat oven to 150 c
2. Wash and finely chop the spinach leaves and drain well
3. In a large bowl, add the chopped spinach, and all the ingredients in the order listed.
4. Combine well using a wooden spoon (or your hands - the Indian way!)
5. Oil a baking tray (I use a 30-32 cm one )
6. Press the mixture on to the tray, about 2 cm thick (pic opposite)
7. Bake for 25-30 min or until golden in colour
8 Leave to cool and then cut into 5 cm squares
9. Serve with a chilli dipping sauce
Optional ; You can lightlyshallow fry them in oil for a crispy texture.
Till next time