Bhurtho (Aubergine Curry) and Roti
To me the cold, dark evenings in winter mean comfort food. And I love pies and soups, but my comfort food is home cooked Indian food. It is my soul food, its what I was bought up with. I have travelled all over the world, having lived in Africa and then England and travelling all over Europe and America and then settling here in beautiful New Zealand. I always find that when I am away from home, I love experiencing all the exotic and different flavours, but really miss my home made curries and it is probably one of the first things I make when I get back from being away.
Bhurtho is one of those gorgeous dishes and is one of my favourites. Funnily enough I refused to eat this as a child, and I remember having countless arguments with my mum about why I wasn't going to eat my dinner when she served this up on my plate!
1 large Aubergine
I onion (sliced
2-3 Tbl Oil
1 Tsp Garlic
1/4 Tsp Turmeric
1/4 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Paprika (optional)
1/4 Tsp Chilli powder
3/4 Tin of chopped tomatoes or Tomato Passatta (not Italian flavoured)
1. With a fork prick several holes all over the aubergine and place under a pre heated grill for 20-30 min, turning a couple of times. You will know it is cooked when it goes all soft and looses the firmness. It needs to be "mushy" when you slit it open.
2. While the aubergine is cooking, in a medium saucepan heat the oil and add the sliced onions. cook until pale and soft
3. Add the tinned tomato and all the spices and cook over a low heat for about 10-15 min.
4. Meanwhile when the aubergine is cooked, (it will be very soft - this is desirable) slit it open, hold on to it by its stalk and roughly mash it with a fork . Remove the skin and stalk after mashing.
5. Add the mashed aubergine to the tomato mixture and cook on a low heat for a further 5-7 min.
Serve with hot Rotis. (recipe for roti to follow - you can buy some pretty good roti/chappati from the supermarkets, although I love making my own, its an art that takes years of practise but I will put a step by step guide for any easy to follow recipe.
Till next time