Jam is a great way to preserve the taste of summer, and then you can use it in different aspects of cooking and baking.
This strawberry jam has to be the simplest way to preserve your summer strawberries.
1 kg Strawberries (rinsed and hulled)
1 kg Jam setting sugar (you can now buy this in most supermarkets)
1. Crush the strawberries roughly with a potato masher, you can use a blender, but I like the chunky bits of strawberry.
2. Place the strawberries and sugar in a large heavy based pot.
3. Heat the mixture over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved, but do not boil.
4. Add the butter and increase the heat bringing it to a bubbling boil (you cant stir it down)
5. Boil for 4 min only. Remove any foam from the top and then test for set.
6. To test, place a spoon full on a cold plate, wait a few seconds and then run a line through the middle if it wrinkles it is ready
7. Bottle in pre sterilised jars
For bottling and sterilising please refer to my Tamarillo chutney recipe on my blog.
Till next time