My mum's jam tarts are the best!, I have memories of eating these when I was growing up in Malawi. They are a perfect alternative to Christmas pudding (if you are not a fan) or just as another dessert over the festive season. They are great as a hot pudding or cold, they keep well for a week in an airtight container.
They make great lunch box treats too. I have made these using plum jam but, mum always used strawberry, you can use anything you want.
For the base
450g Plain Flour
4 Tbls Self Raising Flour
225g Butter softened
1 Tsp Vanilla essence
1. Mix the butter and sugar together until pale
2. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat, then add the flours and mix into a soft dough, kneed a little until it is all combined.
3. Roll 3/4 of the dough into agreased baking tray of your choice, a 25-30 cm tray works well.
4. Spread the jam of your choice on to the dough.
5. Using the remaining dough, roll out into a rectangle and with a sharp knife cut 2 cm wide long strips and lay them over the tart in a cris cross design, covering the whole tray.
6. Place in a pre heated oven @ 180 for 30-35 min, until golden, may need a little more depending on your oven setting.
Cut into slices and dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice cream.
Till next time